- eBook:Professional NoSQL
- Author:Shashank Tiwari
- Edition:1 edition
- Data:September 13, 2011
- Pages:384 pages
NoSQL databases are an efficient and powerful tool for storing and manipulating vast quantities of data. Most NoSQL databases scale well as data grows. In addition, they are often malleable and flexible enough to accommodate semi-structured and sparse data sets. This comprehensive hands-on guide presents fundamental concepts and practical solutions for getting you ready to use NoSQL databases. Expert author Shashank Tiwari begins with a helpful introduction on the subject of NoSQL, explains its characteristics and typical uses, and looks at where it fits in the application stack. Unique insights help you choose which NoSQL solutions are best for solving your specific data storage needs.
- Demystifies the concepts that relate to NoSQL databases, including column-family oriented stores, key/value databases, and document databases.
- Delves into installing and configuring a number of NoSQL products and the Hadoop family of products.
- Explains ways of storing, accessing, and querying data in NoSQL databases through examples that use MongoDB, HBase, Cassandra, Redis, CouchDB, Google App Engine Datastore and more.
- Looks at architecture and internals.
- Provides guidelines for optimal usage, performance tuning, and scalable configurations.
- Presents a number of tools and utilities relating to NoSQL, distributed platforms, and scalable processing, including Hive, Pig, RRDtool, Nagios, and more.
CHAPTER 1. NoSQL: What It Is and Why You Need It
CHAPTER 2. Hello NoSQL: Getting Initial Hands-on Experience
CHAPTER 3. Interfacing and Interacting with NoSQL
PART II - LEARNING THE NoSQL BASICS
CHAPTER 4. Understanding the Storage Architecture
CHAPTER 5. Performing CRUD Operations
CHAPTER 6. Querying NoSQL Stores
CHAPTER 7. Modifying Data Stores and Managing Evolution
CHAPTER 8. Indexing and Ordering Data Sets
CHAPTER 9. Managing Transactions and Data Integrity
PART III - GAINING PROFICIENCY WITH NoSQL
CHAPTER 10. Using NoSQL in the Cloud
CHAPTER 11. Scalable Parallel Processing with MapReduce
CHAPTER 12. Analyzing Big Data with Hive
CHAPTER 13. Surveying Database Internals
PART IV - MASTERING NoSQL
CHAPTER 14. Choosing Among NoSQL Flavors
CHAPTER 15. Coexistence
CHAPTER 16. Performance Tuning
CHAPTER 17. Tools and Utilities