- eBook:Learn Type-Driven Development: Benefit from type systems to build reliable and safe applications using ReasonML 3
- Author:Yawar Amin, Kamon Ayeva
- Data:December 26, 2018
- Pages:180 pages
- Reduce code errors with the power of type systems
- Employ static typechecking and genericity to promote code reuse and consistency
- Understand functional programming which is the foundation of type-driven development
Book DescriptionType-driven development is an approach that uses a static type system to achieve results including safety and efficiency. Types are used to express relationships and other assumptions directly in the code, and these assumptions are enforced by the compiler before the code is run. Learn Type-Driven Development covers how to use these type systems to check the logical consistency of your code.
This book begins with the basic idea behind type-driven development. You'll learn about values (or terms) and how they contrast with types. As you progress through the chapters, you'll cover how to combine types and values inside modules and build structured types out of simpler ones. You'll then understand how to express choices or alternatives directly in the type system using variants, polymorphic variants, and generalized algebraic data types. You'll also get to grips with sum types, build sophisticated data types from generics, and explore functions that express change in the types of values. In the concluding chapters, you'll cover advanced techniques for code reuse, such as parametric polymorphism and subtyping.
By end of this book, you will have learned how to iterate through a type-driven process of solving coding problems using static types, together with dynamic behavior, to obtain more safety and speed.
What you will learn
- Use static types to capture information, making programs safer and faster
- Learn ReasonML from experienced type-driven developers
- Enhance safety by simply using basic types
- Understand the most important type-driven concepts with simple examples
- Explore a design space using static typing and find the best way to express your system rules
- Use static types and dynamic runtime in harmony to write even safer and faster code
Who this book is forIf you're a programmer working with dynamically typed languages and are looking for ways to mitigate production runtime errors, Learn Type-Driven Development is for you. You'll also find this book helpful if you're a programmer working with statically typed languages looking for increased safety and improved performance.
Chapter 2. Programming with Types and Values
Chapter 3. Packaging Types and Values Together
Chapter 4. Grouping Values Together in Types
Chapter 5. Putting Alternative Values in Types
Chapter 6. Making Types that Can Slot into Any Other Type
Chapter 7. Making Types that Represent Operations
Chapter 8. Reusing Code with Many Different Types
Chapter 9. Extending Types with New Behavior
Chapter 10. Bringing It All Together